Norfolk Island Youth and Junior Youth Council
The Norfolk Island Youth Council and Junior Youth Council aims to support and foster active, healthy, informed and empowered youth. It provides a forum for young people (aged 12 to 25 years) to advise Council on issues of concern, promote improved access to facilities and services, recommend how their needs may be satisfied, participate in the decision-making process, and gain leadership development skills.
The Norfolk Island Youth Council includes a Junior Youth Council, which is supported and facilitated by the Norfolk Island Central School.
The objectives of the Norfolk Island Youth Council and Junior Youth Council are to:
- encourage student and young people’s participation in Council’s activities and community service initiatives
- assist Council in effective policy and project planning, development, integration and implementation through the provision of advice
- assist Council in the identification of current interests of young people (aged 12–25 years) on Norfolk Island
- support and promote activities and special projects that relate to young people living on or visiting Norfolk Island
- consult with young persons, community groups and Council on issues and policies
- assist in planning for youth events, such as Youth Week.
Please see the Norfolk Island Youth Council and Junior Youth Council Terms of Reference below.
When positions become available on Council advisory committees, an advertisement calling for expressions of interest is placed in the local newspaper.
For more information, or to join the Youth or Junior Youth Council - Please click here