Join the Norfolk Island Youth and Junior Youth Council
Norfolk Island Regional Council seeks young members of the community aged 12–25 years (school years 7 to 10 and up to 25 years of age) who live on Norfolk Island and can best represent the diverse needs and expectations of our youth.
People aged over 25 years who work for organisations representing young people residing on Norfolk Island can also apply to participate as a Community Member.
The Norfolk Island Youth Council and Junior Youth Council Terms of Reference (below) outline the roles and responsibilities of members.
Youth Council and Junior Youth Council members will:
- attend regular meetings at the Council Chambers and/or Norfolk Island Central School
- offer advice to Council – such as current priorities, issues and needs
- support and promote activities and special projects that relate to young people living on or visiting Norfolk Island.
- consult with young people, community groups and Council on issues and policies.
- assist Council in effective policy and project planning, development, integration and implementation through the provision of advice.
- assist in planning youth events, such as Youth Week
- attend NIRC Council events as youth ambassadors, if required
- work on some tasks outside of meetings, if required.
What will you get out of being a Youth or Junior Youth Council member?
You will have the opportunity to:
- be heard within Council
- participate in decision making
- develop leadership skills
- help organise events
- be mentored by professionals in different fields
- gain valuable experience to add to your resume
- have fun.
If you are interested, please complete the application form below and submit by the following methods no later than 4pm on Tuesday 12 February 2019.
Email: regionalcouncil [at] nirc.gov.nf (subject: Youth%20and%20Junior%20Youth%20Council)
In Person: Placed in the Tenders Box in the Registry Office, Norfolk Island Regional Council Offices, Kingston
Junior Youth Council: Applications are to be placed in the box at the Norfolk Island Central School front office.
If you need any help completing the application form please contact the Community Development Officer, Kym Buffett on phone 22417 or email kym.buffett [at] nirc.gov.nf (subject: Youth%20and%20Junior%20Youth%20Council) .